Tuesday, May 22, 2012

He Must Increase - Day 142

I've been trying to get myself in what I consider to be "good shape" before my upcoming Sabbatical this summer. My favorite exercise is lifting weights at the gym...but my gym membership expired. (Why pay an annual membership fee when I'm leaving town for 2 months right?) My second favorite is cycling which is awesome...except when it rains. Did I mention yesterday it's raining? So my friend has an indoor pool that I decided to use yesterday. Today I can barely move. I thought I was going to swim laps for 30 minutes but gassed out after 15. I am apparently in terrible cardio condition and I'm the only one who didn't know it! Ha!

More importantly, however, is our spiritual shape. What kind of shape are you in spiritually? Are you ready to do battle with the enemy. Ready to go on rescue missions to save captives? Ready to give an answer for the hope you have? Ready to face trials of many kinds? If not, you better get in shape! The early church devoted themselves to four primary things that are a great place to start: apostle teaching (Bible), prayer, fellowship (church), and the breaking of bread (communion). That's a great place to start. Paul reminded Timothy, who must have been one of those young Cross-Fit addicts, “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” (1 Tim 4:8)

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: Ezra 4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment