Saturday, May 12, 2012

HE MUST INCREASE - DAY 132

I have gotten comments over the years about my habit not to preach on the subject of moms on Mother's Day. Some people must think I'm "anti-mothers" apparently. If that's true I must also be "anti-fathers" because I don't preach about dads on Father's Day either! I love my mother dearly, and think that she and my wife are the best mothers I know! I realize that most of you will disagree in deference to your OWN mother!

I was surprised to discover that a woman named Julia Ward Howe was the original founder of Mother's Day. In the immediate aftermath of the Civil War Howe championed this day as a gesture of pacifism. Ironically, she is best know for writing the "Battle Hymn of the Republic." Lay down your arms for your mothers boys...and pick up the battle cry of God! Howe was reportedly dismayed over the way Mother's Day was commercialized and exploited. It's started as a simple gesture and became a cash cow. And that's why I don't preach about moms at Mothers Day. It's not a Holy Day, it's a Hallmark Day. I do however pray a prayer of blessing for the mothers, call my own, and cook for my wife. And I was thinking about singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic" as a special blessing for the moms at my church! Not.

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: 1 Chronicles 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment