Monday, May 7, 2012

HE MUST INCREASE - DAY 127

Last night we were holding an auction to raise money for youth and children's camps. During the live dessert auction a cherry pie came up and I wanted it bad! The lady who makes them is known for her delicious pies and I was hoping to get one. I'd set a financial limit for myself and the bidding quickly surpassed what I'd hoped to spend. I was disappointed about the pie but happy that it sold for over $50. I clapped when the auctioneer said, "sold" and thought "maybe next year". Then something surprising happened. That pie was brought over to my table by one of the runners. The person who'd overpaid for a delicious pie, beaten all the other bidders, gave it away to me. (Thanks Alicia it was delicious!) I barely know this lady, but I know why she did that. She was showing kindness through her generosity because she wanted to.

Isn't that the story of Jesus Christ? What we all want in life (freedom from our own sins, insecurities, and shortcomings) is to high a cost for us to pay. Many resign themselves to never having the abundant life because they haven't found it on their own. But someone else paid way too high a price for that freedom, and then gave it away to everyone else. And He did it because he wanted to. He showed us the ultimate kindness through his ultimate generosity because he loves us. While we were on the auction block being sold to sin, he paid the price. So praise God for Jesus Christ...and cherry pie.

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: 1 Chronicles 18-21

No comments:

Post a Comment