Tuesday, April 10, 2012

He Must Increase 101

Have you ever thought about the power of the question? Questions are a tool that I've found invaluable over the years. If I'm doing counseling I ask questions. If I'm getting a couple ready for marriage I ask questions. If I want to check someone out for a leadership position I ask questions. When someone comes at me with accusations I ask questions. When I want to start a conversation with a complete stranger I ask questions. When I confront people I ask questions. When I pray, I'm learning to ask questions and not just make requests. I've often wondered why there aren't any great Bible verses regarding the question? Here are some insights regarding questions:

1. When you are asking a question you have to listen. James 1:19 says, "You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak..."
2. When you ask questions you reduce the risk of saying too much. Proverbs 10:19 says," Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth."
3. When we pray it's good to ask questions. John 6:45 says, "Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me."
4. When facing someone who is tense or combative ask questions. It keeps you from retaliating and forces them to think instead of shout. Proverbs 15:1 says,
"A gentle answer (or question!) deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare."

Post your thoughts on the question! Or ask some cool questions....

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: 2 Samuel 19-21




.

No comments:

Post a Comment