Friday, March 16, 2012

He Must Increase-Day 76

I was the designated babysitter today for my friend's 5 year old boy. It was their anniversary and apparently they are hard up for sitters! I am probably not a very good babysitter. But I did my best; we played the following:
-"Cut, cut, timber" (which I learned is outlawed at his home)
-"Mandolin" (i was informed that I needed to play Christmas music)
-"Make a mess eating lunch" (my personal favorite)
-"Trim the tree out front before the city fines me" (not my favorite)
-"Blocks" (we built an entire city!)
-"Knock down the blocks" (it was hurricane Ethan)
-"play cars" (you apparently have to drive cars through the rubble of a hurricane)
-"Ants" (we found an ant and were playing with it, until it crawled into his shirt and he did the boogy dance)
-"Stall" (make up dumb stuff to do till the parental units return)

It truly is not a surprise that Jesus said the Kingdom belongs to children. Their innocent minds, playful spirits, and genuine curiosity is something that the best and brightest adults really struggle with. They have an inner purity, and innocence, that Christ esteemed and we should cherish. Yes, I babysat for a friend which may have been a blessing to them, but seeing a 5 year old play for a couple hours was a blessing to me. "“I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Mtt 18:3)

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: Josh 19-21




.

1 comment:

  1. No childhood (especially an Oregon childhood) is complete without cut, cut, timber!

    ReplyDelete