Saturday, March 10, 2012

He Must Increase-Day 70

I was reading this morning about the end of Moses' life. Deut 4 says there was never again a prophet that interacted with God face to face. That's pretty high praise. He was God's chosen man to save a nation. He performed signs so amazing they're still talked about today! He lead an obstinate people through their darkest hour. He was arguably the author of the most important section of the Old Testament. And..he talked to God face to face. Some even think that God buried him because of an elusive reference to his burial ("no one knows the exact place" Deut 34:6). But for all that Moses said and did, he failed to enter the promise land.

In one moment of weakness Moses compromised his integrity and his punishment was exclusion from the land flowing with milk and honey.(Deut 32:51-52) That always saddens me. I don't question the justness of God, but I feel sad for Moses. Sad that he never got to enjoy the fruit of his laborious journey. He still went to heaven, he was still revered, but he missed the big finish. I don't want to go out that way. Most of us are certainly not on par with Moses, but we'll all have a finish line to cross. I don't want to falter at the line! I'd rather not stumble as I cross! I don't want to die in the ditch after passing out from exhaustion...ok you get the point. But we must never become so confident in ourselves, or our track record, that we think we're beyond faltering. Better men that I have gone out with regrets. Let us strive to be counted among those who finish well. Grant us this request Lord Jesus as we look to you each day for strength!

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: Deut 32-34




.

No comments:

Post a Comment