Tuesday, March 6, 2012

He Must Increase-Day 66

When I was in jr. high I had a paper route for a small local paper that only delivered twice a week. I remember fondly the days when my father would greet me early and offer to drive me in his car. I'd bundle up the papers I folded and dad would drive me through the neighborhood where I could chuck paper on people porches. Of course it went much faster with the car than the trusty ten speed. Afterwards my dad would take me to breakfast at some restaurant where I'd always get hash browns and fried eggs. During those drives, and at other times, my dad taught me about being a man. He expressed his views on certain issues and asked me mine; he helped shape my values and my faith. I would not trade those times with my father for anything.

I was thinking this morning about how my time with the Heavenly Father is so critical as well. It's that time spent listening, reading, and praying that helps me become the person God wants me to be. And yet there are so many occasions in my life when I've gladly traded time with God for something meaningless. Just like that time we spend with our kids is vital to their formation, the time we spend with the Father is vital to our spiritual formation. So where can you carve out time for the Father? Be honest with yourself! Don't just say, "I'm so busy". What good thing, or worthless thing, could you take from your schedule and replace with...time with the Father? I just wish God took me out for hash browns!

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: Deut 21-23



.

No comments:

Post a Comment