Wednesday, February 22, 2012

He Must Increase-Day 53

Sometimes the tough stuff rains down. A man from our church died yesterday at 5am. Another man, the father of a church friend, is lying in bed dying as I write. I spent hours with them the last couple of days praying and listening. Yesterday I talked to two men whose wives have Alzheimer's disease and don't always know who they are. I spoke with two people who are suffering in pain from conditions that doctors can't seem to fix. I saw a fellow pastor yesterday who has had his faith kicked in by church people and is angry and bitter. I talked to two Christians who are wayward and won't face up to it. Today I want to hideout. I know that's not bold and courageous. I know that sounds weak. It seems unpastoral. But that's how I feel. I was comforted by the words of Paul in Philippians 3:13-14. "...but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us."

Trouble comes and goes. Sometimes it comes it droves. Sometimes it's happening to us, sometimes it's happening to those around us. But we keep pressing on, looking ahead, reaching for the goal. So press on brothers and sisters!

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: Numbers 23-25




.

No comments:

Post a Comment