Monday, January 2, 2012

He Must Increase-Day 2

I was laying awake in bed last night thinking about what it means for Christ to be greater and greater in my life. What does it mean for me to become less and less? The application of this principle is endless....but what came to mind was football! (I know I'm ridiculous!)

Today is a day of many college football bowl games. Fans have been waiting eagerly since the end of the regular season for that one last game. Then the football drought(Feb-Aug) begins. Today hundreds of thousands of fans will put on their favorite jerseys, hats, and t-shirts all bearing the emblem of the teams they love. As I sit here I'm wearing my Oregon Ducks gear and waiting impatiently for the game which begins in 6 hours!

It occurred to me that on game day a total stranger could recognize me as a "duck fan" with a casual glance. They'd see what I'm wearing and instantly know about something that is important to me. What if our faith was that way? What if Christ rose to such prominence in our lives that people who had the slightest contact with us knew who we were? What if we pushed down all the stuff about "me" that we want the world to see and recognize, and pushed Christ to front and center? It sounds noble, sounds spiritual, sounds like something a pastor might say. But no part of that is easy. The real question is this: What would we have to give up, what changes would have to be made, in order for people to see Christ when they see us?

Read the Bible in One Year Plan: Genesis 4-7




.

2 comments:

  1. Abraham did that (pushed down all the stuff) when he let Lot choose where he would take his flocks and herds. Then God blessed him with the promised land. In God's economy, we don't lose when we give up and let Christ increase. Thanks for what you are sharing here, Erik, and for spurring us on. It's hard to decrease, and I appreciate the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of Colossians 3:12-14: "So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

    Buffy

    ReplyDelete