Sunday, January 1, 2012

He Must Increase-Day 1

I'm not sure if anyone would read this or not but I pray that your journey with Jesus may be strengthened as I attempt to strengthen mine.

I'm someone that really needs a framework to operate within. I often fail in my attempts at the abstract and undefined. Ironically, the most undefined thing in my life is my relationship with Christ. The further irony of that is that the thing which is most undefined is also the most important; Jesus Christ.

You might say, "simple!" Make a reading schedule, make a plan, set aside time, etc. But here's the thing: I don't want a relationship with Christ which can be defined in human terms. And I suspect that Jesus will not be defined by my thoughts, agendas, schedules or theological understandings.

I've been mulling over the words of John the Baptist in John 3:30. His disciples were somewhat offended that people were flocking to Jesus and abandoning John. His simple response will become, I hope, a framework for this new year. He said, "‎He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less." (NLT)

I'm not making any radical pledges, or pretentious claims. I have no agenda or specific goal. I just want to explore what it might look like for Jesus to become greater and greater in my life and for own self to become less and less. Join me in considering what our thoughts, actions, and attitudes might be like if Jesus was exalted to the highest place in our lives. He MUST increase!


Read the Bible in One Year Plan: Genesis 1-3




.

No comments:

Post a Comment